Tuesday, May 1, 2007

DAY 7: SURGEON FOLLOW-UP

Today we went to see the surgeon for follow-up instead of waiting 2 weeks. Mom told the nurse lady from the surgeon's office that I was itching and that because of that I kept getting up and down (therefore, my knee was a little swollen). The nurse said to go ahead and bring me in 1 week early just to make sure I'm not having an allergic reaction to the internal sutures, etc. GOOD NEWS- Doc gave me some hydrocortisone spray for the itching and I was given a great report (incision healing well, knee stable...). He said I have developed a small seroma (fluid filled sac) around the knee (which is not unusual following surgery, especially since I was moving so much due to being uncomfortable), but that it will typically reabsorb in the body with rest. He also told mom I could go swimming next week if I want (she's going to wait a few more weeks though for the pond to fill up) and that I should double my walks from next week on! Doc told mom that she will know when I overdo it because I might not bear as much weight on my leg or I might limp. No worries though- he said just to rest me a day or 2 and back off a little on the exercise! YIPPEEEE- maybe I can go in the back yard now! I'll check back again soon!

No comments: